I haven’t posted here in a while. Things have been boggy as far as writing goes. I read over the unedited manuscript for Pair of Jokers and something amazing happened, for me at least. I loved the story, I loved the characters and I even liked the writing, but the best part of all of it, was I didn’t love the story from the point of view of a writer reviewing her work, I loved it from the point of view of a reader.
It’s an amazing thing when your writing reaches your reading level. Keep fighting until it gets there, only practice can make you a better writer.
So I’ve been slowly editing Jokers, and even slower writing on Sins. Sins is giving me issues, but mostly I just feel really blocked AND fogged. I have to keep pushing forward on my writing but it’s a little harder than with Jokers, but I am not giving up. Sins will be finished and then I’ll focus heavily on editing Jokers.
In other news, school starts for me on Monday. I have no idea what this will mean for my writing. It will probably make me focus more since I’ll have less time but we’ll see. I’m very excited about heading off to school, and while I don’t have any creative writing classes this year I’m probably going to start working towards my degree next year, which hopefully will mean good things for my work.
But some of you, those of you with Author Alerts, might have noticed I posted something new and rare on my profile; a poem. I do have several poems on my profile, but I’m not a poet. I do like expressing myself though poetry but I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to poetry.
My senior year I took a creative writing class that taught me a lot about poem structure and form. I loved it. I loved how it made me work hard for my poetry to have meaning. I loved trying to fit what I wanted to say into a certain form or rhyme structure, but it was hard and I’m a lazy person. So I turn my nose up to free form poetry but don’t like to write anything other than it. (Except for a sonnet now and then.)
But this poem I found in a notebook while cleaning my room. I wrote it last year I think, on a way from school. I was dealing with the break up that made me start writing seriously all together, a break up that still affects me in some ways today. As you know, I am a Leo, hence the title. The emotion is something I can still relate too as I read over the work and with some minor editing I decided to post it.
I think it’s a fine poem, not great, I still wish it had structure but it works and I like the last line.
Boy I’m glad I’m not there anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i feel bad that i didn't comment on your poem as beautiful as it was in its own sad way i just felt that there was nothing i could say that would do much worth other than i understand.
ReplyDeleteas a poet myself i find not having a structure to my poems helps the words flow easier. i usually put structure to it after wards. i don't believe that poetry is something that can be forced. but thats just me. you are an amazing writer and thats great to hear that you finally found that reading your own work. keep writing and good luck in school.
sinceraly your fan and fellow writer
Shan