So while I was editing today I started thinking a little about a different project I currently have on hold so I can edit. I wrote in Jokers that every Theme has its opposites. Taking Jokers as an example, there's a reason Chaos and Control were born at the same time. The world without both would be unbalanced and it's a risk to have all the power on one side.
In my other story I'm thinking of having Dawn and Shadows. (Which is different from Light and Dark by term of power, Light and Dark are special and I'll explain about the different kinds of Themes in a different entry). I realized that I wanted Shadows to be much older, so I wondered how that would work.
Then I thought, well, it'd be silly for every opposite to be twins. I mean, not that many twins are born. There are a lot of Themes. Then I realized this explains why most Theme users are born to magical families but why sometimes someone born to a human family gets a Theme. (Which I'll have to explore someday)
When someone with a Theme dies, that Theme becomes 'open' for a new baby to get it. If the opposite Theme still lives , that Theme needs to be reborn pronto. Obviously whatever assigns Themes can't just make life, (Unless I wanted to make Gods, which is getting WAY too big), so they have to give it to about to be born baby, as soon as birth as possible. If there isn't any available among the magic folk, which is more natural for a Theme, then it will have to go to a more open human.
For you wondering just what Themes ARE, Themes is a brand of magic where people can do anything relating to a single word Theme. Taking my heroes from my last post:
Clara has a Dream Theme, (rhyming ftw) and can make people live out their greatest fantasies naturally. With control, she can manipulate dreams and make people see whatever she wishes. Stronger Themes can also communicate though dreams, and enter sleeping people's minds.
Korbin has two Themes (VERY rare, three Themes are impossible), Chaos and Emotion. With Chaos he can gather it around his skin, it's like a mix of water and electricity running across his skin except it's a dark purple. This allows for an random affect to happen to both him and whose attacking him. Chaos sometimes favor its host and sometimes it doesn't. When it does, in general it will hurt who ever is attacking (or whoever Korbin is attacking) and help Korbin, but it can make everything worse too. Obviously unstable. It always makes it impossible for Korbin to live too structured a life and he has a high risk for insanity later in life. Emotion is a bit more stable. He can see people's emotions as colors that surround them and manipulate them with his mind. He can grow or suppress a person's feelings but he can't create or destroy.
Phoenix has two Themes two, Manners and Control. Manners is a suck Theme. All it does is force you to be polite, always. He can never be rude, or so he thinks. Phoenix is a bit of a defeatist and has a very self-fulling prophesy personality. I'll explore that more in his book. Control is much more fun, for him. Control allows him to control anyone he choses. Well, it could, depending on how strong it is. Problem is that it's very rude to take control of someone so Phoenix doesn't get to use it much and even then, only with permission. Side affects include a high chance for OCD and he can't get addicted to anything or get that high or drunk (all include loss of control). He's also good at a lot of sports, and surprisingly, video games. Not that he'd ever play them.
Rachael's Theme is Lust, part of the special Seven Sins Team. Her Theme is kind of sucky too, but only because she doesn't want to be a slut. Lust is attractive to everyone the host is attracted too. (I.E, straight people? Just opposite gender. Gay? Just same gender. Bi? Everyone! Whoo!) It works stronger when person does want someone and is semi-activated by puberty. (It gets stronger thanks to hormones). Problem is, that if it's strong it tends to just encourage molestation without proper control and people being aware. Rachael is human born so....yeah. But that's a story for another time.
Monday, June 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment